June 30, 2011 § Leave a comment
The trick to remember for perfectly smokey eyes is to blend a nice mix of light and dark colors on the eyes. Of course there is the traditional blend of gray and black colors, but don’t be afraid to mix other colors like peach and gold for more of a daytime look. Just keep in mind to always use the lighter color for the base of the lid and the darker color on top.
The Traditional Smokey Eye:
1. Prep the lid. To keep the lid oil-free, without having your make-up from making a mess and melting into your eyelid crease apply a eyeshadow base with either primer or concealer.
2. Applying light eyeshadows. Apply a little light shadow to the entire eye from the eyebrow to the lashes. I prefer to use a pearl or white shade. Then apply a light gray to the lid of the eye, making sure you blend the two colors together with a eyeshadow brush.
3. Apply eyeliner. Apply black liner to the upper lash line to your liking, either using liquid or a pencil eyeliner.
4. Bottom lashes. Use a black eyeliner pencil to the bottom lashes and run your finger over to smudge the line. Also, I prefer to blend a little bit of gray shadow to the smudge line and a pearl or white shadow directly on the corner of the eye that is closest to the nose.
5. The crease of the eye. Smudge on black eyeliner in the crease of the eye and blend in black eyeshadow. Also, blend in a little more light gray shadow with the black shadow. It looks too intense at first, but remember, just keep blending! It’s best to smudge the intense black liner and shadow with a Q-tip.
6. Mascara. Coat the upper and bottom lashes with several coats of black mascara for thick and long lashes.
7. Under the eye. Make sure to apply some concealer under your eyes to make sure there are no specs of sparkly eyeshadows.
Photo found via frantasticmakeup.com.
June 29, 2011 § Leave a comment
Lookbook.nu is one of my favorite sites where you become inspired by everyday girl fashion finds from all around the world. These girls are just like you and I, pairing their bargain to luxury brand clothing and accessories together for a well-styled look. This site screams style and pizzazz, and for once, we, the everyday girls, are the focus for setting the trends, instead of the Hollywood celebrities we see on our TV screens.
Check out these photos and more like this via Lookbook.nu.
June 27, 2011 § Leave a comment
Smearing on foundation with your hands can make your skin break out and even give it an uneven appearance and using a sponge pad absorbs most of your foundation before it even comes into contact with the skin, which is just a waste of make-up.
So what’s the trick to flawless looking skin?
A foundation brush does the trick! I like to dab a little foundation onto my outer hand, coat the brush and use upward strokes on my face to brush on a little bit of make-up at a time. This makes it easier to blend onto the skin for a flawless finish.
For those of you who are curious about this beauty trick, start with a less expensive brush to see the results. I would recommend trying the Revlon foundation brush found at Ulta.com.
Photo found via runningwithheels.com
June 27, 2011 § Leave a comment
Cowgirl boots have hit the streets and have even made it all the way to… Hollywood?? Yes, that’s right, originally called “cowboy” boots and made for riding, they are now walking down city streets to show they got what it takes! Done right, cowgirl boots can be paired with jeans, shorts, skirts and even dresses for a more rustic, sexy look.
Above, I have paired some short leather boots with a casual wide neck top, rugged denim shorts and added some feather earrings and a leather bag for a completed look from hm.com.
Wide Neck Top $14.95 (H&M)
Rugged Denim Shorts $24.95 (H&M)
Boots $34.95 (H&M)
Feather Earrings $9.95 (H&M)
Leather Bag $14.95 (H&M)
June 27, 2011 § Leave a comment
Organize! First things first girls, let’s organize our limited closet space. The best way to organize a wardrobe is by sections such as: professional, casual, lounge, nightlife and jackets. P.S. – Don’t forget about the little accessories that take up so much of our space like shoes, handbags, scarves and belts.
Purge & Donate! After going through your closet, purge and donate pieces that have been taking up space for awhile. Whether the clothes are way too small or just way too old, you will be surprised how good it feels to get rid of these pieces that are creating clutter in your life. P.S. – Donating will always feel good.
Retire the Chaos! I like to retire some pieces that remind me of not so good ex-boyfriends. For instance I retired a favorite bright blue halter dress after all I thought about was one night where my ex stuck his head out the window to flirt with a car of hollering girls, where they preceded to expose a little more than cleavage than I wanted to see in their drunken states. Needless to say this favorite dress has been retired and worn as a fairy Halloween costume instead. P.S. – Retiring some pieces will make you feel cleansed and less stressed in your everyday life.
Know Your Wardrobe! It is essential to know your wardrobe and know it well. For instance, years ago my little sister use to steal my clothes from my building wardrobe and whether I would be getting ready to go out to a night club or getting ready to go to work, instantly I noticed the black spaghetti strap mini dress or the baby pink button-down ruffled shirt that was missing. I would frantically search for it until I realized a thief, my little sister, had it stashed in her hamper. After so long, I literally started locking my wardrobe up in suitcases so it would not go missing because my wardrobe was all I had to show where most of my money was disappearing to. P.S. – You want to know what you have in your wardrobe, not become obsessed with it like I did.
Make a Wish List! It’s time to plan by making a list of a few things you really want to enhance your wardrobe. Post your list on the refrigerator so you are aware of the pieces you really want for your wardrobe. For instance my list consists of:
- White Skinny Jeans
- Professional Gray Pants
- Jean Boyfriend Shorts
Prowl Alert! Lastly, be on the prowl for low priced additional pieces you want for your wardrobe. If you find a piece that you think is a low enough price, then purchase it and always hold onto the receipt.
Return! Ask about the return policy and circle the expiration date on the receipt. This is in case you find the piece for cheaper elsewhere before you actually wear it. P.S. – Remember, when it comes to saving, every penny counts.
Breathe! Lastly, breathe, step back and enjoy an orderly space for your improved wardrobe. You have now “become an organized closet freak.”
Photo found via thefrisky.com